Friday 25 June 2010

African flower granny square.... another requested pattern

Played about with the square AF this morning so now have one l'm happy with
l used a double strand of DK Acrylic and a 6mm hook for this sample

THE African flower HEXAGON MOTIF IS NOT MY DESIGN

BUT THE SQUARE VERSION IS..QUICK PATTERN
Chain 6, sl st into a circle or make a magic circle
ROUND 1: 2dc, 1 ch , 2dc, repeat 7 times, sl st, to finish round
ROUND 2: 2dc, 2ch, 2dc, repeat 7 times...giving 8 sides, sl st to finish round.
 ROUND 3: 5 dc in each of the points (chain sp)
(normally it's 7 but it made it very frilly and didn't lie flat so l did 5 instead)
ROUND 4: sc in each dc stitch, make a long st, (spike stitch) down to row 3 in between each petal
ROUND 5:
NOW IT STARTS TO CHANGE FROM THE 6 PETAL AFRICAN FLOWER MOTIF

ROUND 5: start in the stitch after the spike st
*1dc in the next 2sts, 1dc,1ch,1dc, in the next stitch (point of petal), 1dc in the next 5 sts, 1dc,1ch,1dc in the next st (point of petal), 1dc in the next 2 sts, miss a st, * repeat from
* to * 3 more times. (start of 4 sides) sl st to complete the round.
You will now have the beginnings of the 4sides
ROUND 6...Start to the side of the 'hole'
*1dc in next 2sts, 1sc in the chain st, then 1sc in the next 6 sts, 1sc in the chain space then miss a st and do 1dc in the next 2 sts
next do 2trs, 3 chain and 2 trs, in the 'hole'* rep from * to *3 times to make 4 sides.
sl st to complete the round.


LONGER, PATTERN WITH LOTS OF EXTRA PICTURES......

ORIGINAL PATTERN; AFRICAN FLOWER GRANNY SQUARE

Start is similar
Round 1:chain 6 
Round 2: 2dc 1 ch 2dc repeat 8 times
Round 3: 2dc 2chain 2dc repeat 8 times

Round 4: 5dc in each of the points (normally it's 7 but made it very frilly and was hard to lie flat)
but with 5 dc as the head of each of the 8 petals it lies really flat

Round 5: sc in each dc stitch with a spike stitch down to row 3 in between each petal
Round 6: NOW IT STARTS TO CHANGE FROM THE 6 PETAL AF

start at the 1st stitch after the spike st
2dc in each stitch then the next st it's 1dc 1ch 1dc (point of petal)
then 5dc in next 5 sts then 1dc 1ch 1dc in the next stitch (point of petal)
next miss a st and do 2dc in each of the next 2 st then a chain and miss a st
rep 4 times
You will now have the beginnings of th 4sides 
can you see that you have a slightly longer filled in side and a smaller end with a hole in it?
that shorter end will be the filled in corner

Round 7: Start to the side of the 'hole' missing the 1st st

2dc in next 2sts then a sc in the chain and 6sc in the next 6 sts sc in the chain then miss a st and do 2dc in the next 2 sts
next do 2trebles 3 chain and 2 trebles in the 'hole' miss a st and rep 3 times to make 4 sides

square corner made!!!!


15 comments:

  1. Hope Mr T is back to normal very soon. Thanks for the tutorial. I've been crocheting flowers lately cos I needed a break from the flowers but will have a go at a square one soon.
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried crocheting AF's yet but I really like them - they look so pretty. I really love how you've made them into a square too - a lovely blankie/cushion idea. Thank you so much for showing a tutorial for them xxx

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, thankyou so much for the pattern ,I love your african flower square !!
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dancing my happy dance this morning. I love it. Great TUT...

    I did that color therapy a couple of days ago. I must go do again and remember what the results were.

    You know I will be back to this posting again. It's in my fav already.

    Have a fun weekend.
    So, nice to see the sun today as we start out here,

    Running,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the tut..Definitely going to make these..Hope Mr.T will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fabulous, Sue! I love it. I've been waiting for a good square pattern for the AF. The hexies are not my bag.

    Terrific...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very pretty! I see you've noted to email you for the pattern, but I can't find a link to your email! Would love to have the pattern if it is still available!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi the african flower hexagon I believe was an old 70's pattern, but this square version is mine worked out my self and is no longer a freebie. Sorry

      A selection of my patterns will be for sale in PDF and subscription site form hopefully by the beginning of June..watch this blog for updates
      Hope that helps
      Hugs x

      Delete
  8. Do you have a pattern for the colour therapy square ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet, do you mean the African flower square?..i will add it to the blog tomorrow for you....the African flower isn't my pattern but i turned it into a square many moons ago.
      Hope that helps. X

      Delete
  9. H i sue on round 3 which points do you do a dc in i'm a beginner so i'm sorry if it seems a daft question

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I have added a little to the pattern so you should understand it better. But if you do to round 3 I'm sure you will see the points or chain spaces
      Hugs x

      Delete
  10. Hello Sue, thanks for the pattern! I am making a purse and didn't want to use a plane old granny square.This is just what I needed.It took me going over the pattern a few times and I got.Mine came out GREAT! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the pattern! I am making a purse and didn't want a plan old granny square.This is just what I needed.It took me a few times but I got it. Mine came out GREAT!

    ReplyDelete